Vodacom is an African mobile communications company that provides a range of services, including voice, messaging, internet, and data services. One of the ways that Vodacom gives back to the community is through its bursary program. The Vodacom bursary is an academic merit bursary that is open to full-time first-year, second-year, or third-year students intending to study or is studying towards Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics (STEM) fields but may lack the necessary resources to study further.
This article will discuss the key offerings and additional benefits of the Vodacom bursary program, the eligibility requirements, and how to apply for the bursary program.
Key Offerings of the Vodacom Bursary Program
The Vodacom bursary program provides the following key offerings:
- Full University Accommodation: The program provides full university accommodations for the selected students.
- Capped Amount of Private Accommodation: Further to the above, a capped amount may be provided towards private accommodation if university accommodation is not available to the student.
- Full Registration and Tuition: The bursary program offers full registration and tuition for the entire duration of the student’s studies.
- Textbook Allocation: The program offers students an allocation towards the purchase of textbooks.
- Meal Allowance: The program offers a meal allowance to cover the cost of meals while studying.
Additional Benefits of the Vodacom Bursary Program
In addition to the key offerings, the Vodacom bursary program provides additional benefits that include:
- Laptop: The program provides a laptop for selected students.
- Cell Phone: The program provides a cell phone for the selected students.
- Orientation Workshop: All new students who are accepted into the program are given orientation workshops to help them integrate into the program, get to know their peers and better understand the bursary program.
- Workplace Exposure: The program also provides a structured Vacation Work program that offers bursary students the opportunity to gain work experience during their academic vacations.
- Work Readiness Skills Training: The program provides work readiness skills to help the final year bursars transition into the world of work, offering essential skills that will set them up for success.
- Full Access to Wellness Programme Services: Bursary students have full access to the program’s wellness program services, including the Independent Counselling and Advisory Services (ICAS).
Program Requirements for the Vodacom Bursary
To be considered for the Vodacom bursary program, applicants must meet the following requirements:
- South African Citizenship: Applicants must be South African citizens by birth.
- Full-time Undergraduate Studies: The applicant must undertake full-time undergraduate studies in a South African tertiary institution.
- Minimum Grade 12 Exemption: The applicant must have passed Grade 12 with exemption, obtaining 70% or higher across all subjects.
- Minimum of 65% Average or Higher: The applicant must have obtained a minimum of 65% average or higher if in the first year of tertiary and above.
- Already in First Year: Applicants may apply if they are already in their first year (upwards) if they are studying at an accredited South African tertiary institution and meet all the criteria above.
How to Apply for the Vodacom Bursary Program
To apply for the Vodacom bursary program, follow the application process below:
Step 1: Check Eligibility
Ensure that you meet all of the eligibility requirements listed above.
Step 2: Register and Apply
Visit the Vodacom bursary webpage and register an account to start the application process. Once registered, complete the application form, and submit it online.
Step 3: Confirmation of Receipt
Once you have submitted your application, Vodacom will send you a confirmation of receipt via email. The Bursary Management team will then carefully assess your application and provide you with feedback every step of the way.
Step 4: Wait for Feedback
Applications close on 31 August, and the selection process may take several weeks. Applicants who are successful will be notified of their selection, and they will be asked to provide additional documentation to finalize their selection.
The Vodacom bursary program is a fantastic opportunity for STEM students who may lack the necessary resources to progress their studies. The program provides students with financial assistance in the form of registration and tuition fees, textbooks, and accommodation. It also offers students additional benefits like a laptop, cellphone, orientation workshops, workplace exposure, work readiness skills training, and full access to wellness programs (ICAS). The program has strict eligibility criteria that applicants must adhere to, and the application process is online. Applicants must register and apply before the closing date of August 31.