Telkom South Africa is committed to supporting young talent in South Africa and helping to develop the skills necessary for a successful future. One way in which they do this is through their Full-Time Bursary Programme, which offers Telkom Bursaries for undergraduate studies in certain core fields. Additionally, post-graduate bursaries are offered to candidates who continue their studies and research through the Telkom Centres of Excellence (COE) programme.
Core Fields for Undergraduate Studies
Telkom South Africa offers full-time bursaries for undergraduate studies in four identified core fields. These fields are:
- Electrical Engineering (Light Current)
- Information Technology/Computer Science
The bursaries are available for students who are studying towards a degree in one of these fields and who meet the eligibility requirements. Successful applicants will receive funding to cover tuition fees, prescribed textbooks, and accommodation (up to a certain amount). The bursary will also provide for a monthly allowance to cover living expenses.
Eligibility Requirements for Undergraduate Bursaries
To be eligible for the Telkom South Africa Full-Time Bursary Programme, applicants must meet certain requirements. These include:
- South African citizen
- Studying towards a degree in one of the core fields mentioned above
- Achieved a minimum of 60% in all subjects in their Grade 12 final examination (or equivalent)
- Achieved a minimum of 60% in Mathematics (or 70% for Electrical Engineering) and Physical Science (or 70% for Electrical Engineering) in Grade 12 (or equivalent)
- Currently registered or intending to register for full-time undergraduate studies at an accredited South African university
Post-graduate Bursaries via the Centres of Excellence Programme
Telkom South Africa also offers post-graduate bursaries to candidates who continue their studies and research through the Telkom Centres of Excellence (COE) programme. This programme is a collaborative effort between Telkom, academia, the telecommunications industry, and the government to promote research in communication technology and associated sciences. Sixteen Centres of Excellence have been established across the country, making it the largest coordinated research effort in ICT in South Africa.
Post-graduate bursaries via the COE programme are available in the following fields:
- Engineering (Light Current)
- Computer Science
These bursaries are intended for students who are studying towards a post-graduate degree in one of these fields and who are conducting research in one of the COE research areas. Successful applicants will receive funding to cover tuition fees, research-related expenses, and a monthly stipend to cover living expenses.
Eligibility Requirements for Post-graduate Bursaries
To be eligible for a post-graduate bursary via the COE programme, applicants must meet certain requirements. These include:
- South African citizen
- Registered for or intending to register for a post-graduate degree in Engineering (Light Current) or Computer Science
- Conducting research in one of the COE research areas
- Achieved a minimum of 65% in their previous degree (or equivalent)
- Demonstrated excellent academic performance and potential for research
Telkom Bursaries Application Process
Applications for both undergraduate and post-graduate bursaries can be submitted online via the Telkom South Africa website. The application process typically opens in the second half of the year and closes in October. Applicants must complete an online application form and submit all the required documentation. This documentation includes academic records, proof of registration or acceptance at an accredited South African university, a certified copy of their ID, and a certified copy of their parents’ or guardians’ ID.